UNICEF: Donate RM10 to Give a Child the Gift of Hope this New Year
- 20 exercise books and 20 ballpoint pens for school.
- A bottle of Permethrin shampoo for treatment of scabies, a skin disease.
- Four 400 gram cartons of high energy biscuits for malnourished children.
- 100% of donations go directly to UNICEF Malaysia.
- UNICEF is entirely funded by voluntary donations.
- Donations can help provide much-needed supplies and aid to children around the world.
- No redemption required for this Groupon.
5-year-old Sally lives on the streets of Binondo, Philippines. This is her story:
She’s stuck in a cycle of poverty: Her father has to feed six people on a single income of 100 pesos a day (approximately RM7.30). The family struggles to save for basic school costs like books and uniforms. Sally’s siblings have never gone to school.
She’s homeless: Sally’s family live out of a rickshaw. All her belongings are kept in baskets beside a bridge. Living on the streets exposes Sally to discrimination and stigmatisation by market stall owners who view the children as troublemakers.
She’s exposed to danger: Last year, Sally was hit by an SUV and broke her leg. Without proper shelter, she is exposed to dangerous traffic. As she ages, she will inevitably be exposed to other dangers such as drugs, violence and unwanted pregnancies.
She’s malnourished: When there is not enough to eat, Sally and her family sleep through their hunger. Lack of nutrition leads to many illnesses like anaemia and vitamin deficiencies, affecting overall health and physical growth.
She’s exposed to illness: Sally’s one-year-old brother was admitted to the hospital with tuberculosis. Diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia and skin disease are common among street children due to poor living conditions where there is lack of hygiene and sanitation.
This is just one child’s life. There are so many more that need your help. Give the gift of hope to vulnerable children like Sally and empower them to get off the streets. Donate today.
Click here to find out more about how far your RM10 goes.